A PR Pro Explains How It’s Done - and Why
As one of the Top 20 Business Law Podcasts to listen to, call 760-784-9109 or email me from our contact page if you have a question. We’ll answer it on the show!
When it comes to pitching business reporters, Falk says you have to think like one of them. “The reporter is thinking, ‘What does my audience care about?’ Whether it's readers or listeners or viewers, what they care about is saving time, saving money, and making money.”
Taken a step further, you should employ the basic tool in the reporter’s kit: The Five W’s.
- WHO do you want to read the story?
- WHAT do you want that person to think about and do? Use your service, buy your product, go to your website, visit your location, make a phone call?
- WHEN is the information timely?
- WHERE should the news appear -- in the general news or a special interest platform?
- WHY should anyone care about what you have to say? How does your insight, product, service help an individual, a business owner, or a company to save time, save money, or make more money.
Other tactics Falk considers indispensable for attracting business, growing audience, getting a favorable message out:
- Networking: Align yourself with like-minded groups.
- Develop a media profile: It’s not your bio or CV, but it's very tailored to the interests of the five W's. Give your contact information, three to five sentences that broadly describe your background and what it is that you do, then you have three to five bullet points that are more specific about the kinds of services that you provide.
- Think about three to five issues or hot topics that people really need to know more about.
- The last part is a quote, something about 50 words that gives an idea of what it would be like for the reporter to talk to you.
- Have a web presence: When the visitor comes to the website, they should feel that there's a connection and that the person understands what is their situation, what is their problem, and that this is the solution.
- Your LinkedIn profile confirms you are the person that you say you are.
- Have a newsletter.
Falk is offering listeners 20 minutes of consultation and guidance on your media profile absolutely free, so be sure to check her website.
Get your copy of the Go Legal Yourself eBook FREE when you get the APP from your APP Store and also get my latest book “Go Own Yourself” which is available on Amazon from this link.
Contact Janet Falk
Janet L. Falk
Contact the Queen of Business Law
Kelly Bagla, Esq.
Go Legal Yourself
One of the Top 20 Business Law Podcasts to listen to.
Email us from our Contact Page